Ohio State's Office of Military and Veterans Services
April 15, 2014
"Consider that today, 50 ROTC cadets in your graduating class will become commissioned officers in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines. 130 of your fellow graduates have already served -- some in combat, some on multiple deployments. Of the 98 Veterans earning bachelor's degrees today, 20 are graduating with honors. And at least one kept serving his fellow Veterans when he came home by helping to start up a campus organization called Vets4Vets. As your Commander-in-Chief, I could not be prouder of all of you." -- President Barack Obama, The Ohio State University Commencement, May 5, 2013
The Office of Military and Veterans Services is the university's single point of contact for all military and veterans services and concerns. The office strives to ensure the academic success of Ohio State's student-veterans. Any student utilizing VA education benefits must work with this office as part of their registration and enrollment in The Ohio State University.
Some of the office's services include:
- Manage the VA certification and registration for all Veterans education benefits to which student-veterans and their dependents are entitled.
- Coordinate all VA benefit and payment activities with the Student Services Center, including the Office of the Registrar, the Bursar, Financial Aid, and Student Records.
- Assist students with accessing essential university services such as Academic Exploration & Advising, Student Advocacy, Counseling & Consultation, and Disability Services.
- Connect students with State and Federal agencies that support veterans.
185 Student Academic Services Building
281 W. Lane Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
- Michael Carrell, Assistant Provost & Director, 614-292-3898
- Michael Forrest, Director, Veterans Transition & Services, 614-292-7047
- Melissa Boyd, Senior Veterans Benefits Specialist, 614-688-1579
- Gina Lee, Veterans Benefits Specialist, 614-292-3453
- Denise Bays-Napier, Dept of VA, VetSuccess on Campus Counselor, 614-688-1602
The following partners will also be holding office hours on a recurring basis in our new office space:
Academic Advising: ** NEW HOURS for SUMMER SESSIONS ** Academic advisors from University Exploration will be available:
May: 5/9, 1-4, Peter
5/22, 8:30-11:30, Stephanie
June: 6/4, 9:30-1, Peter
6/18, 8:30-11:30, Stephanie
July: 7/10, 8:30-11:30, Stephanie
7/22, 8:30-12, Peter
August: 8/4, 8:30-11:30, Stephanie
8/21, 1-4, Peter
(They will return to normal hours for Fall semester)
- Stephanie Elliott has been advising students in University Exploration for over 8 years. She works with all populations of students and is also the Curricular Coordinator for the unit. She has a BFA in theater and an M Ed in Secondary English Education from New York University and an MA in English from Ohio State. She is a certified academic counselor and a military spouse.
- Peter Spreitzer has over four years of academic advising experience with University Exploration. Exploration advisors are generalists trained to have basic knowledge of all OSU majors, so Peter can help students discuss, research and confirm their choice of major, in addition to providing basic advising services. He has recently worked on projects promoting academic and personal support resources on campus and can help connect students with the proper assistance on campus. He earned his M.A. in English from Oregon State University and his B.A. in American Studies from the University of Notre Dame.
Counseling and Consultation Service: **NEW HOURS for SUMMER SESSIONS**
- Greg Alfred, Ph.D., Senior Staff Therapist and an Army veteran will be available
July 11, from 9:30 AM- 12 PM and August 1st from 9:30 AM - 12 PM.
(He will return to normal hours in Fall Semester)
We look forward to serving you.