Ohio State's Office of Military and Veterans Services
September 23, 2014
"Consider that today, 50 ROTC cadets in your graduating class will become commissioned officers in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines. 130 of your fellow graduates have already served -- some in combat, some on multiple deployments. Of the 98 Veterans earning bachelor's degrees today, 20 are graduating with honors. And at least one kept serving his fellow Veterans when he came home by helping to start up a campus organization called Vets4Vets. As your Commander-in-Chief, I could not be prouder of all of you." -- President Barack Obama, The Ohio State University Commencement, May 5, 2013
The Office of Military and Veterans Services is the university's single point of contact for all military and veterans services and concerns. The office strives to ensure the academic success of Ohio State's student-veterans. Any student utilizing VA education benefits must work with this office as part of their registration and enrollment in The Ohio State University.
Some of the office's services include:
- Manage the VA certification and registration for all Veterans education benefits to which student-veterans and their dependents are entitled.
- Coordinate all VA benefit and payment activities with the Student Services Center, the Office of the Registrar, the Bursar, Financial Aid, and Student Records.
- Assist students with accessing essential university services such as Academic Exploration & Advising, Student Advocacy, Counseling & Consultation, and Disability Services.
- Connect students with State and Federal agencies that support veterans.
185 Student Academic Services Building
281 W. Lane Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
- Michael Carrell, Assistant Provost & Director, 614-292-3898
- Michael Forrest, Director, Veterans Transition & Services, 614-292-7047
- Melissa Boyd, Senior Veterans Benefits Specialist, 614-688-1579
- Gina Lee, Veterans Benefits Specialist, 614-292-3453
- Brad Fittes, Academic Advisor, 614-292-6908
- Denise Bays-Napier, Dept of VA, VetSuccess on Campus Counselor, 614-688-1602
Brad Fittes holds walk-in Academic Advising hours on Monday-Friday 8:30 - 11:00 & 1:00 - 4:00 throughout the semester. Students are also welcome to contact Brad directly by phone or e-mail to set up a scheduled appointment during or outside of these hours.
The following partner will also be holding office hours on a recurring basis in our office space:
Counseling and Consultation Service:
Greg Alfred, Ph.D., Senior Staff Therapist and an Army veteran will be available
- January: 23: 10 AM - 12 PM
- February: 20: 10 AM - 12 PM
- March 20: 10 AM - 12 PM
- April 3, 17: 10 AM - 12 PM
- May 1: 10 AM - 12 PM
We look forward to serving you.