Ohio State's Office of Military and Veterans Services
February 11, 2016
"Consider that today, 50 ROTC cadets in your graduating class will become commissioned officers in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines. 130 of your fellow graduates have already served -- some in combat, some on multiple deployments. Of the 98 Veterans earning bachelor's degrees today, 20 are graduating with honors. And at least one kept serving his fellow Veterans when he came home by helping to start up a campus organization called Vets4Vets. As your Commander-in-Chief, I could not be prouder of all of you." -- President Barack Obama, The Ohio State University Commencement, May 5, 2013
The Office of Military and Veterans Services is the university's single point of contact for all military and veterans services and concerns. The office strives to ensure the academic success of Ohio State's student-veterans. Any student utilizing VA education benefits must work with this office as part of their registration and enrollment in The Ohio State University.
Some of the office's services include:
- Manage the VA certification and registration for all Veterans education benefits to which student-veterans and their dependents are entitled.
- Coordinate all VA education benefit and payment activities with the Student Services Center, the Office of the Registrar, the Bursar, Financial Aid, and Student Records.
- Assist students with accessing essential university services such as Academic Exploration & Advising, Student Advocacy, Counseling & Consultation, and Disability Services.
- Connect students with State and Federal agencies that support veterans.
185 Student Academic Services Building
281 W. Lane Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
- Michael Carrell, Assistant Vice Provost & Director, 614-292-3898
- Michael Forrest, Director, Veterans Transition & Services, 614-292-7047
- Terry Worst, Senior Veterans Benefits Specialist, 614-688-1579
- Gina Lee, Veterans Benefits Specialist, 614-292-3453
- Amanda Patterson, Academic Advisor, 614-292-6908
- Angela Abel, Dept of VA, VetSuccess on Campus Counselor, 614-688-1602
Amanda holds walk-in Academic Advising hours during the following days/times below:
- Monday & Tuesday 9am - 12pm and Thursday & Friday 1pm - 4pm
Students are welcome to call and make appointments for times outside of these hours.
Angela holds walk-in hours during the following days/times below:
- Tuesdays: 9:30am-12pm
- Fridays: 1-3:30pm
The following partners will also be holding office hours on a recurring basis in our office space:
Counseling and Consultation Services:
James Beauchemin, Ph.D., Senior Staff Therapist, will be available during the 2016 Summer Semester:
- June 3: 10 AM - 12 PM
- July 7: 10 AM - 12 PM
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Healthcare
Jason Digiannantoni, LISW-S, OEF/OIF/OND Outreach Coordinator is available in the Fall 2016:
- August 25, 1-3 PM In the Veterans Lounge
- Sept 8, 1-3 PM In the Veterans Lounge
- Sept 22, 1-3 PM in the SAS Building
- Oct 6, 1-3 PM In the Veterans Lounge
- Oct 20, 1-3 PM in the SAS Building
- Nov 3, 1-3 PM, In the Veterans Lounge
- Nov 17, 1-3 PM in the SAS Building
You may also schedule an appointment with Jason at 614-257-5393.
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Vet Centers
Josh Ricketts, Vet Center Coordinator is available in Fall 2016:
- Sept 7, 11 AM - 1 PM, in the Veterans Lounge
- Sept 21, 11 AM - 1 PM, in the Veterans Lounge
- Oct 5, 11 AM - 1 PM, in the Veterans Lounge
- Oct 19, 11 AM - 1 PM, in the Veterans Lounge
We look forward to serving you.