Celebrating Ohio State's New Office of Military and Veterans Services
September 27, 2012
We are pleased to announce that the new Office of Military and Veterans Services is now open. This office is the university's single point of contact for all military and veterans services and concerns. The office strives to ensure the academic success of Ohio State's student-veterans. Any student utilizing VA education benefits must work with this office as part of their registration and enrollment in The Ohio State University.
Some of the office's responsibilities include:
- Manage the VA certification and registration for all Veterans education benefits to which student-veterans and their dependents are entitled.
- Coordinate all VA benefit and payment activities with the Student Services Center, including the Office of the Registrar, the Bursar, and Student Records.
- Assist students with accessing essential university services such as Academic Exploration & Counseling, Student Advocacy, Counseling & Consultation, and Disability Services.
- Connect students with State and Federal agencies that support veterans.
Office of Military & Veterans Services
185 Student Academic Services Building
281 W. Lane Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
- Michael Carrell, Assistant Provost & Director, 614-292-3898
- Michael Forrest, Director, Veterans Transition & Services, 614-292-7047
- Melissa Boyd, Senior Veterans Benefits Specialist, 614-688-1579
- Gina Lee, Veterans Benefits Specialist, 614-292-3453
The following partners will also be holding office hours on a recurring basis in our new office space:
- Academic Advising: Academic counselors from University Exploration will be available every Tuesday, 8 AM- 2 PM and Wednesday, 11 AM-4 PM beginning 10/2/12.
- Stephanie Elliott has been advising students in University Exploration for over 8 years. She works with all populations of students and is also the Curricular Coordinator for the unit. She has a BFA in theater and an M Ed in Secondary English Education from New York University and an MA in English from Ohio State. She is a certified academic counselor and military spouse.
- Brad Fittes has been an academic counselor with University Exploration since April of 2011. Within the EXP general student population, he primarily works with transfer students and student athletes. He is a two time graduate of Ohio State, with a BA in Psychology (minor in General Business) and a MA in Counselor Education, and has participated with us in student-veteran training conferences for Higher Education.
- Counseling and Consultation Service: Greg Alfred, Ph.D., Senior Staff Therapist and an Army veteran will hold regular office hours every Friday from 9 AM- 12 PM beginning 10/12/12 during the Fall Semester.
- OSU College of Social Work Intern: Addison Hill will be working with our office this year as he finishes his Master’s degree in Social Work, before accepting a Commission into the Navy’s Psychology program next summer. He will be available on Mondays and Fridays.
- We are working with other community partners both from Ohio State and in the community (The VA, State of Ohio) to provide you on-campus access for their services. When we have set their office hours, we will follow-up with an announcement.
We look forward to serving you.